Friday, December 18, 2015

Five Weeks and a Day

Having passed the five-week mark since my surgery yesterday, I can confidently say that I am back to 100%. In fact, I'm at 110%; I am much, much more pain-free than I was before surgery, and find that I am able to do things that I hadn't been able to for years.

I've been going to the gym and using the elliptical machine for up to an hour at a time! Before my hip replacement, anything more than 20 minutes or so would cause soreness and stiffness in the joint that I would start to feel immediately but would become progressively worse over 12-24 hours. I now have absolutely no stiffness or soreness whatsoever.

I've still been going to physical therapy to work primarily on increasing my range of motion and strength, but after my sessions next week, I'm done with PT. I'll still have some exercises to do at home to continue to strengthen my new hip.

Beyond that, I'm still following my hip precautions (no crossing the legs, no bending the hip past 90 degrees, no angling the feet), but find I have to remind myself not to break the precautions all the time because I don't remember that I've had surgery. I'd say that's pretty successful.

If you would have told me how quickly my recovery was going to be, I wouldn't have believed you. Looking forward to continued recovery in the weeks to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment