Monday, December 7, 2015

Three and a Half Weeks Later

I am fast approaching four weeks post op and am happy to report that I feel almost fully recovered. 

I have been walking around, going to work, and doing most everything normally with no pain whatsoever. And I write this post at the gate of an airport in Florida as I prepare to head home from a family wedding. Airplane travel was no issue whatsoever, and my new hip didn't even set off the metal detectors (though it has previously at other security checkpoints).

I continue my physical therapy twice a week, which focuses on both expanding my range of motion and building strength in the muscles around the hip. I'm still walking with a slight limp -- it gets worse when I'm tired -- but I attribute that to years of compensating for a bad hip rather than any pain or discomfort from the hip replacement. 

I've also been able to sleep on my side -- finally. I keep a pillow between my legs to make sure I don't break any of my precautions, and even with a pillow it is fantastic to not have to be stuck on my back all night. 

All told, my recovery has been much, much faster than I anticipated it would be in the lead up to surgery. It's been fantastic, and I am so glad I did it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment