Friday, November 20, 2015

8 Days Later

Hard to believe I'm on post-op day 7 and that it's been more than a week since I had my new hip installed.

Today marked my last in-home physical therapy session. I will miss Roger - my physical therapist - whose special blend of humor and drill sergeant-like motivation helped me progress farther than I thought possible in such a short period of time.

I'm cleared to walk around my house without any assistance. No crutches, no cane, no nada. It's not pretty -- I limp quite a bit -- but I can certainly make my way around. Outside my house, I'm down to one crutch, which helps the limp noticeably. I'd like to be done with the one crutch -- and any limp -- in the next week or two.

I'm still following all of my precautions, and still have some pain from time to time, namely right after physical therapy. My post-op appointment with my surgeon is on Monday, and I'm hoping he'll remove the staples on my incision then. Every time I sit down or stand up I have a sharp pain right at the incision site; I'm hoping that's the staples, and that it will go away as soon as they're removed.

Here's something they don't tell you in your pre-hip replacement class: sneezing hurts like a sonovabitch after surgery. I dread the telltale tickle in my nose that tells me a sneeze is inevitable. Regardless of how much I try to brace myself, with every sneeze I feel a stabbing, hot pain right in my new hip. It's close to some of the worst pain I've ever felt. It only lasts a fraction of a second, but it's pretty dreadful.

Sleeping is still a challenge. After laying uncomfortably on my back for three hours last night without falling asleep, I got up and sat/laid down on our recliner. It was the best sleep I've had since I had the operation. Though I'm not enamored with the idea of sleeping on the couch for the foreseeable future, I need sleep badly, and I'm willing to do (almost) whatever it takes to get it.

Still not taking any painkillers stronger than Tylenol.

My next check in will be on Monday following my post-op appointment. I also have my first outpatient physical therapy appointment on Monday, as well. Exciting stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment