Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Day 6


My recovery continues to proceed quicker than I expected. Tomorrow will mark one week since my left hip replacement. Though I've not yet returned to work, I have been able to get out of the house for short jaunts, and am able to drive since I haven't needed to take a painkiller for three days now. I'm planning to start transitioning back to work tomorrow -- a few hours tomorrow and Friday, and then, hopefully, a normal work schedule beginning next week.

The pain has been surprisingly manageable without any prescription painkillers. I've been doing just fine using only Tylenol for the last several days. I'm also able to walk without any support, though it isn't pretty to watch. So I'm still relying on crutches to assist me. 

I've enjoyed physical therapy thus far. It's pretty amazing to see the progress I'm able to make with my new hip from appointment to appointment. Whereas I was barely able to move the joint last week, I'm now able to move my hip in most directions with some effort. There are of course still some movements that I'm unable to do, or that are particularly painful.

The biggest challenge thus far has been sleeping. Because I'm not allowed to sleep on my sides or stomach, I sleep on my back every night (or try to), which isn't a natural sleeping position for me. I wake up in the middle of the night with the joint feeling sore and slightly painful, and try to move a little bit to ease the stiffness. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. I therefore haven't been able to get a good, solid night of sleep since before the surgery. I have been trying to nap during the day whenever possible.

Almost one week down...seven more to go until I don't have to worry about my precautions (no bending past 90 degrees, no twisting my feet, no crossing my legs).

No comments:

Post a Comment