It's been just less than 12 hours since my hip replacement surgery began this morning. I'll be staying in the hospital overnight but expect to be discharged tomorrow morning, which is pretty incredible. I've had my first physical therapy appointment, which covered how to get out of bed and sit down, and also involved me taking my new hip for a test walk down the hospital corridor. I was able to put full weight on the operated let, and though my hip area feels stiff, I've had absolutely no pain whatsoever. This will likely change as the long-lasting numbing medication wears off in 24-36 hours.
My surgeon stopped by on his way home to see how I was doing. From his perspective, the surgery went perfectly. The artificial pieces fit perfectly and he didn't need to make my leg any longer. He told me I could go home tonight if I want to! Unfortunately, the head nurse for the floor had to leave early and she would have to sign off on my discharge, so I'm staying the night. Not a problem, though -- I had planned to anyway. And everyone here is exceptionally kind and helpful.
No comments:
Post a Comment